Race Report: Great Salt Lake Half Marathon 2006

I woke up at 5:15 AM to register for a half marathon that started at 6:30 AM. I was glad I lived so closely so I didn’t have to go even earlier. It’s cool and dark that early. I was impressed that the volunteers at the registration pavilion were so cheerful and helpful.

This was my first half marathon. 13.1 miles is the furthest I've ever run. 2 hours and 21 minutes is the fastest (and slowest) time I've ever finished the distance. I'll admit I was pretty geeked up about doing it. I had hoped to finish around 2 hours 15 minutes but would have only been disappointed had I finished over 2:30.

My favorite part of the race was the last 3 miles. A 5k race after a 10 mile jog. When I write that, I wonder how that could ever be considered fun. But it was. Believe me.



To get to the 5K race I started with a group of 127 individuals. By the time I ran the 10 miles to the final 5K, there were only 2 of us starting. The rest were either far ahead or well behind. For the 10 mile “commute”, my friend and I ran an easy pace, clocking in at just above 10 minute miles. I think I talked way too much along the way but I needed to. I was scared that if I didn’t , the time would drag along and I would think about the pains in my knees and think about how far 13 miles really is. Since I run with a Camelback fanny pack I stuffed my camera in it. It allowed me to take pictures to ease the time as well. I took one photo of my friend and I had him take one of me. Action shots for the blog! For several miles we watched our shadows on the pavement and a guy just ahead of us. I took a picture of that too.



When the talking died down, after about an hour, I listened to a local radio station’s podcast called “The Outdoors Show.” The show is familiar company as I listened to it on many of my long training runs in the preceding weeks. Hip-Hip-Hooray for the iPod!

When we approached the orange cone marked to say 10 miles, we stopped short and walked towards it. To me, I was preparing to start again. I had to do this because frankly, I was tired and I needed some motivation. I switched from “talk radio” to my favorite music playlist. The affects were immediate. I “sprinted” forward fueled by my speed-tunes. The first song ended and so did I. I was spent. My friend caught back up to me and I am sure he thought I was crazy for trying. Even so, our overall speed quickened and I finished the next song renewed. When the 3rd song started it was John Mayer’s 3X5. This is easily my favorite song. I powered on hoping to finish strong. I did finish strong and I finished with nothing left in the tank. I set a goal and I completed it. YAY!


John Mayer 3X5

I'm writing you to catch you up on places I've been
You held this letter probably got excited,
but there's nothing else inside it

didn't have a camera by my side this time
hoping I would see the world with both my eyes
maybe I will tell you all about it
when I'm in the mood
to lose my way with words

Today skies are painted colors of a cowboy's cliche'
And strange how clouds that look like mountains
in the sky are next to mountains anyway

Didn't have a camera by my side this time
Hoping I would see the world with both my eyes
Maybe I will tell you all about it
when I'm in the mood
to lose my way but let me say

You should have seen
that sunrise with your own eyes
it brought me back to life
You'll be with me next time I go outside
just no more 3x5's

Guess you had to be there
Guess you had to be with me
Today I finally overcame
tryin' to fit the world inside a picture frame
Maybe I will tell you all about it
when I'm in the mood
to lose my way but let me say

You should have seen that sunrise
with your own eyes
it brought me back to life
You'll be with me next time I go outside
just no more 3x5's
no more 3x5's



Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts